Friday 13 June 2008

counting calories...

After a really long time I ventured out to the center of the city on Tuesday to hang out with a dear friend. We went to Khan Market - apparently one of the most expensive markets in Asia. We went to Cafe Turtle, and had their famous Rs. 180 New York Lemon Cheese Cake piece. It was quite good, maybe not worth 180 bucks for some (that a lot of money for a poor student in Delhi). I know that it was too rich - not money-wise, but rich in calories for me to be having frequently.

Yes, I am becoming one of those people who start thinking about Calories and Glycemic Indexes of food items before thinking of eating them! And, and, when I reached the most happening Metro Station - ie. Rajiv Chowk, there were banners everywhere with health tips and "use the stairs to stay fit" signs. It was like the whole world is telling me, "Go join the gym for heavens!" I have actually lost some weight gained in Okinawa since coming back, but I feel I really need to do more than just yoga! See I found out that I have a blood sugar problem. It was probably due to the food (or lack of it) in Okinawa. Before going, I had a good diet composed of all food groups (excepting meat and fish) and it was great. Once in Oki, everything went haywire. When I cooked for myself at home, it was ok. But when I went out - which was a lot, I relied on rice and veggies (read - kappa maki). At school I was sometimes given a heap of rice by pitying teachers. And its not like basmati rice (ie, non sticky) I would force myself to finish it coz I hate throwing food. I ended up eating more sticky rice for one lunch than I could eat in a week at times. Many times I took a bento of instant noodles to school - clearly the worst type of food choice! Some days at restaurants, I would go hungry for real food and just have a dessert. I ended up eating more carbs, starch and sugar eventually. And my alcohol consumption there also went up tremendously! I remember being tired and grumpy and moody a lot! After an ice cream, I'd be cheerful on a sugar high like never before! David even told me bluntly to get my blood sugar tested. Wish I had done it sooner! All the signs were there, and had I known sooner, I would have made wiser and healthier food decisions in time. But, better late than never... I am now doing all these and exercising too, so I can be the healthier me that I used to be 2 years ago. Just have to go join the gym now to speed up the progress, and also, to guarantee that occasional lapse in the form of a lemon cheese cake. :)

5 comments:

Rachel said...

Nice!!! Good luck ... and definitely splurge once in awhile. But enjoy your healthy food, too! :)

Unknown said...

thanks Rachel! I am enjoying good healthy food! :) am loving the fact that mom cooks delicious food (a big plus point about living with parents!!)

Isa said...

Oh yes your mom's food. That was yum :) And I'm sure you're doing a great job, if you're still eating sprouts and pomegranate and mango for breakfast and doing 20 mins yoga before bed!
Take care Ju.

Isa said...

was that like the wengers lemon cake?

Unknown said...

i usually do yoga in the morning now or when i sleep a little longer, then i do it in the evening... the before sleeping was just for that day!

...but the lemon Cheese cake was way much better than wenger's (coz cheese cake - unlike normal cakes - are the purveyors of more calorie enriched guilty pleasures :) !!)