Tuesday 10 June 2008

Baby Lizards Addendum

You will never believe what more mischief these little creatures can get involved in!

Yesterday, My mom was directing a new housemaid as she cleaned the house. My mom lifted the cushioned seat of a small settee and Lo! Behold! a tiny lizard squished betwixt wood and foam. Someone must have sat down on it when it had smuggled itself within. The strangest part is how it got underneath the foam cushion in the first place as the settee has a square seat of stiff foam made with exact precision to fit the seat rendering absolutely no space for it to crawl within unless someone actually lifted the cushion and waited while it climbed into it to put the cushion back in place. Thus, when my dear mother saw it, she called me and asked if someone had brought a plastic lizard and placed it there to scare people. A prank I was guilty of when I was 15 years my junior.

(Don't I sound Victorian? It's because I am re-reading Villette with much enthusiasm!)

Thus my dear friends, beware of the baby lizard you may not even realize when you have killed these house gods! I no longer worry. Ever since one crawled up my precious guitar... I can't bother to take care not to kill them if it so happens to be written in their fates.

No comments: