Thursday 1 November 2007

Laika

I read a newspaper article about the space dog Laika today. About her tragic fate. while reading I started crying. She was a stray, picked up from the streets and chosen among three dogs to become one of (if not THE most) famous dogs ever in human history. And even though she became special, she still died - the proverbial - dog's death! "Terrified by the roar and the vibration of the engines, the dog lurched desperately to free itself [perhaps from the chains that held her in place] as the rocket took altitude, its heart racing at three times normal speed." (TOI) What makes it all the more indignant is how this little mutt was the center of a political game. In a race to hurl insults at America, USSR may have paved the way to space travel but at the cost of a dog's life!

I vividly remember when I first heard about Laika. I was a little girl and we lived in our joint family house then. It was late at night, all had gone to bed, but my sister was still studying and I as usual was pestering her and asking what she was reading. And then Di told me that she was reading about a dog. She then read me the story and I remember asking her why did they send Laika in space if they couldn't bring her back! I remember wanting to pet and hug the poor creature. I remember trying to remember her name.

I never forgot the name. But I had forgotten the story.

No comments: