Monday 5 November 2007

Shopping

Diwali is coming up in a few days, so I went shopping with my mom, sis and Masi (mum's sister). We bought lots of candles and wax diye; Diwali gift packs to give to friends and family; I got rangoli colours - have decided I shall make a rangoli outside home. I forgot to get any firecrackers - but that's good because I want to do my little part against child labour. We still have to get earthen-ware diye, will get them on Wednesday. And we are all set to celebrate Diwali.

Shopping in Delhi is an interesting affair. Of course you enter the market after breaking free from a traffic jam. There is absolutely no space on the roads, because the shopkeepers have extended their tables and ware much beyond the limits of the sidewalk (if one exists in the first place!) and busy shoppers throng the market areas blocking whatever road remained!! Then vehicles keep whizzing by much to the danger of the shoppers. They sometimes honk a warning and it adds to the already existing cacophony of shop owners yelling to their staff, the staff yelling to the customers, the customers yelling to their kids, and the kids yelling just because.

Thank God for aspirin! :)

Then the items on Display. One couldn't find the worst possible colour combinations and cheap plastic ornaments in this world elsewhere. The usual flies and bees get attracted by the dry fruits and nuts placed out in the open. The candles were mainly eyesoringly bright coloured, of the most ugly designs and the Aroma candles choked the very life-breath out of one! The shop, from where I got rangoli colour, was selling a sticker rangoli - a big sticker that you stick on the floor! It was disturbingly ugly and my mom even dared risking my fury to ask me if I wanted to get it!! From all this it was interesting to dig out the nice stuff - which existed nonetheless!

Ah! what a sight it is! And I haven't even visited the big malls and shopping centers yet! God only knows what they must be like! For now, thanks to my well known hate for 'going shopping', I shall be spared the torture of the Malls and will be extremely satisfied with the local market nearby!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

hi.. I do want to link to your diya pic! Read..

http://wingingword.blogspot.com/2007/11/diwali.html

Is

Anonymous said...

hi.. I do want to link to your diya pic! Read..

http://wingingword.blogspot.com/2007/11/diwali.html

Isa

Nandini said...

zu...cute post :)