Monday 17 September 2007

Delhi Metro

Delhi Metro is my friend and its my enemy as well.

I travel by it to go to the university, it takes about an hour and a half or so to get there. I walk for about 5 minutes to get to the Dwarka Sector 10 Station from my apartment. then it takes about 55 minutes on the Blue Line to get to Rajiv Chowk Station, where I change to the Yellow Line. After another 20 minutes or so I reach Vishwavidyalaya Station. It takes another 10-15 minutes by a Rs. 10 rickshaw-ride to get to the Arts Faculty, where I have my seminars in the English Department. The metro ride costs me Rs. 18, making my commute a total of Rs 28. (less than 100-yen ). I travel in the ease and comfort of the AirCon. and I usually get a seat going as Sect. 10 is the 2nd station from point of beginning.

Yet it is my enemy. You ask 'Why?'? Well, I dont get a seat while going back home, as there are herds of people boarding the train at Rajiv Chowk, and it is just hell. I stand back and let the stampeding crowds in first and then enter squeezing through the jammed pack of people to get a free space in which to stand. But more so coz, if there wasn't the Metro, commuting would be so difficult and tiring that I would just live in the International Students House for Women where I stayed before, and have a far better and interesting life! Plus I would have access to JSTOR on my laptop! And, there would be new people from interesting places I would get to interact with. Currently I am bored to death and wish for something desperately to happen in my life.

Now you ask, "Well then, why don't you go there?" Because, I am sacrificing my wishes to my parents, who sacrificed theirs when I decided to take on the JET Programme. I guess I feel a little guilty too. My mom missed me, and my dad felt that I am drifting away from them. But, I am giving them until my sisters marriage, and after that I am moving out! Until then, I shall suffer the boredom (*shrug*) and the Metro shall be both my friend and enemy!