Sunday 2 September 2007

Here I am, once again..

Firstly, this blog must acknowledge Ms. Liz Brooks, on whose requests I felt compelled to write about my life in Delhi. :) love u, Liz!

Next, I have had my first seminars for this semester's two courses. The courses I chose are -

  • Modern India in Paint and Print, and
  • Contemporary Fiction and Constructions of History

I was nervous at the beginning of each class, but all went well. I got what I selected to present on for the first course and I can choose which ever I want for the second one as well. So, I am glad. I have to get down to studying for it instantly as there is lots of work to be done! my first presentation is coming up in 3 weeks!

Transition into Delhi life hasn't come easily. A year away has changed my perception and each thing is like a vague deja vu. (Though when I met some of my best friends it didnt seem like a year/more had passed since I last gave them a hug!) I feel naive, and I feel I am less street smart. I felt awkward asking rickshaw-walas, and just agreed to whatever price they asked for. The dirt and muck has been a constant eyesore. And, starless skies make me sad. Delhi Metro is a saving grace, but last time I was on it, some woman pushed me about in the most uncivilized manner, and I became very incensed about her behaviour!

And the new youth I see around me at the university shock me more. I see so many pseudo's and so many worthless individuals that its upsetting. I had felt hopeful of the youth of my country before I had left for Okinawa. I thought that their changing perspectives would put my country to its path to progress. But I see young girls and boys dressing up for attention, playing loud music on their cell phones, bursting into dance moves in the middle of the street or metro, and just wasting their time away.

It is bleak, or so it seems right now. Maybe its just a phase. But I have to block my mind from all that and concentrate on my M.Phil. I shall think about India's progress afterwards, when I finish my M.Phil. courses with good grades, when I get a job and when I get my NET qualification (to be able to teach in Colleges).

Tomorrow is another day.

1 comment:

Liz Brooks said...

Thanks for starting the blog, Juhi! I know the transition must be tough, although I don't know what's so bleak about people bursting into public dance. I've been known to do it myself...

I understand you're going to present on comedy and the author, or some such thing. That sounds interesting; wish I could be in the audience!

Missing you!