Tuesday 29 January 2008

coming soon...

The new semester has started. My courses for the next 5 months or so will be
  • The Visual and the Verbal: Theory and Representation in Art and Literature
  • The Construction of Social Space in the Nineteenth Century English Novel

Both are very interesting courses, so I am excited about them. There were so many courses to choose from this time, it was quite difficult even though I had my eyes set on these two from a long time! I had to chose wisely, especially since these will be my last two courses. After this semester, I shall have to work on my Individually Supervised Essay. More about that when the time comes for it.

For now, I shall be working on Leonardo's Notebooks for the first course, and Hogarth's Prints for the other. I have to present one more short paper for the Visual and Verbal, will decide on what later.

I havent really done anything exciting recently. My life was put on hold until my long papers were done. This time I really tried to finish them before the deadlines and it was a huge pain.... Anyhow am not going to talk of it online! lets just say, that they, and winters have had a chilling effect on everything around me. A few days back, I was very sad. The winters always do that, but this time I really felt I had nothing to look forward to. Seems like I hardly have a life worth living, what with living at home, doing M.Phil. and no boyfriend... And its just so bloody cold to do anything on my own - anything simple and easy like take a walk outside!

I know all those living in below freezing zones are telling me to shut the f- up! But one must consider that the way you feel at -5 deg cel. is how I feel at 5 deg cel. So delhi at 2 deg cel. is really cold for me! BBC predits 0 deg cel. for Delhi on Friday. Its really cold for the kind of climate and infrastructure we have. We dont have central heating! And heating blower dont really work! I can wear ten thousand layers but if I am cold from the inside, they dont help. I wish I could run to the tropics. But darn M. Phil. has to be done! It just gets me down.

I wished I could just leave everything and stop existing. But as I was coming back from the univ. that day, I saw that the sky was blue. and as the sun was setting, it had set the clouds ablaze with different fiery colours. The last time I had seen the sky like this was in Okinawa. and before that in Delhi, when we lived in the clean North Campus, in the middle of green Delhi Ridge, the happiest time of my life in Delhi. (Yes, I don't like Delhi very much. Those who have been here might know why... )

Anyhow. That day, I felt if the sky could be this clear and beautiful in Delhi, then surely not all goodness is dead and that there is still hope left. Soon spring will arrive. flowers will blosom. and I will be warm and happy again. till then I shall put my life and all the fun times on hold.

7 comments:

Chi said...

Oh Juhi! Ganbatte! I hope you are starting to feel better!!!

Chiye

japalinka said...

it's amazing how much a little bit of sunshine helps in winter. it's been gray and rainy here nonstop for a week now. so when the sun came out it was like a sigh of relief from grips of depression. that and i thought, how nice it will be to get home and do laundry. :)
i'll second Chiye in a Ganbatte!!
Hope things turn around quickly for you!

Amy said...

Can you live in your apartment instead of with your family? As for the boyfriend, you can always find one if you're willing to lower your standards. Not that I suggest doing that...

And feel free to complain about the cold all you want. Today I felt really cold, and it's probably 65 degrees here. Who knows what that is in celsius. But it would be spring-time weather for sure back home.

Unknown said...

thanks a ton, lovely girls! I am feeling better than before. by the end of feb, the weather will have improved, ben and another friend will be visiting and the great indian rock competition will take place and lift me up once more! so I have lots to look forward to!

amy, I dont technically have an apartment! its still under construction, and even if I had it, it wouldnt be possible for me to live there. its complicated. and lowering standards will not help, coz I will have to lower more than just a few notches! :)

Amy said...

You really don't have to explain to me about lowering standards more than a few notches. I understand... believe me...

Anonymous said...

Um..pardon me to post amidst a very bright exchange of comments (esp the last 3!) :p ...u said u don't like Delhi very much. Could u plz elaborate a li'l on that front.

I know some of the answers and being here I know why...but then its also a part of my PhD to find out why and I'm trying to be as unbiased as I can be....(n thrfore ve been askin ppl this, both offline n online).

Regards
Govind
SES, DU

Anonymous said...

"..what with living at home, doing M.Phil. and no boyfriend..."

Come on Ju, u don't need a boyfriend to have fun at home!

nandini