Tuesday 5 August 2008

you know... or know not!

A long over due blog on the only typical Bollywood movie I love---

It is called Jaane Tu... Ya Jaane Na. The post title is the literal translation of the name of this movie. A more meaningful title would perhaps be - whether you know, or you don't.

It has all those unrealistic elements that go into making a bollywood movie. All those elements that usually make me pull my hair with frustration. It has typical song-and-dance sequences; a talking portrait; two rude men in Cowboy-Western wear riding horses to nightclubs (who later turn out to be otherwise); it also has that stupid stop-her-from-leaving airport climax; and it also has some overacting. And yet, it was all directed brilliantly. The script is tight and kept one involved throughout. The humour was in good taste and the dramatic scenes nail-biting. (You might be thinking, well isn't this obvious? Ah! but you see, most Hindi films that are considered good, don't always have humour in good taste and nail-biting dramatic scenes.... ) The most amazing thing was that I am usually annoyed by clichés; but, in this movie, those very clichés had been redone brilliantly and by the end of the movie I wanted to see it again!

(Papu Can't Dance? I think he can and HAS! ;P )

I had actually gone to seen The Dark Knight with Isa, but when we reached the cinema, all the tickets were sold out! So we decided to go see Jaane Tu, even though Isa had already seen it on her computer. We went to another Cinema hall for that. Thankfully we got tickets there as we arrived there 2 and a half hours early for the show. We spent the time eating and shopping.

The movie started at 7:30 and ended at 10:25 pm. I was afraid I would miss the last train to Dwarka. We ran from the hall and I had to say excuse so many times and navigate my way through hordes of people who didn't understand my urgency! They were climbing down the staircase so slowly!! I thankfully reached 3 mins before the last train came and reached home like 11:45! That was the most late I have even come back home alone in Delhi! If I had missed the train, I would have had to go with Isa, as there were more trains for her stop. But I didn't want to do that. We had guests from USA at home, and plus, I didn't really want to go to the hostel that night.


I reached home safe and sound, met the guests, got a good humoured scolding from parents and was still happy because of the nice time I had had with my dear friend :) And because there can be an occasional clear blue sky and amazing sunset in Delhi :

2 comments:

Isa said...

I'm glad it looks like we're in a hall of many mirrors and not in ahem, a l.., taking picures on a phone, which was what it was :P

And yes, it was a lovely day and I had a great time too :)

Unknown said...

hahahah! u bet! :)