Saturday 22 March 2008

world water day

Maybe this might gross some people out there...!! heheheh!

Today was an Indian Festival called Holi. On this day, a carnivalesque colour riot and bhang induced bacchanals take place. Ironically, today was also the World Water Day. Usually, after playing Holi, we need to take long showers to get the colours off. And people throw water - coloured or not - at each other. As kids, my cousins and I would pelt water balloons from the roof at unsuspecting passerby (an annoying tradition that still takes place)! At the hostel, we would all climb and jump into the big monstrosity of a fountain and spray water from hoses at each other! Last year David threw water balloons at me after I told him about Holi!

Basically, Holi means the opposite of water conservation!

This year, my family didn't play Holi as it is usually played; and therefore, we were not seeped in colour. So, none of us took showers! And since the housecleaning lady had a holiday, two full buckets of water for mopping the house was saved. Can you imagine how much water was spared from four people not taking a shower? Even though it was not exactly premeditated, yet is was a bit like Earth Hour... our little contribution in easing the water crisis!

5 comments:

japalinka said...

am reading a book that Josh gave me called "A suitable boy" and Holi featured prominently in several chapters of it; so much so that i had to go and look it up so that i would get more out of the reading experience. it sounds like a fun festival. :) especially the drinking of bhang spiked drinks.
good for you on the water front. do you think the government could be doing more in educating people about the wastefulness of some of their merry making practices or just let the tradition be and let people enjoy their day?

Unknown said...

I haven't read A Suitable Boy yet! Holi is fun, if one stays within the fun zone. But people many a times cross the limits and play roughly. There have been so many eve-teasing related problems on holi that the hostel is sealed off until late afternoon!

Holi has never been my favourite festival though! I like Diwali better...

I have never had bhang, u know! In my 101 in 1001 its a goal to try pot... i wonder if trying bhang wud do it? its the same thing after all!

About the government trying to help, I actually found out that it was World Water Day becoz of an ad from the Delhi Government to save water on holi instead of wasting it. They are trying but why would people bother to follow? Some do care, but most don't.

Ours was very unpremeditated. See, we were waiting for my maasi(mom's sis) and her family to come home for lunch. none of us took a shower as we wud shower after playing holi with them. Since it was 3-4 o'clock when they left, we were lazy and took our afternoon siestas instead of bathing!! Then, it was late in the evening when we all woke up, so we ended up saving water!

:)

Isa said...

Good thing, Ju. This was the first year in hostel I didn't take part in the colour fest. Not so much for evironment-friendly reasons, but due to busy schedule. But I agree, the water scarcity is a huge scare. AND I was pelted a total of six times this year, with many more near-misses. Wish people would use water more wisely, than being mere nuisances, because it is WET and it HURTS to have a waterweapon hurled at you when you're happy and unsuspecting in a rickshaw. Period.

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Perfume, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://perfumes-brasil.blogspot.com. A hug.

Sonia Desai said...

Save water on HOli 2020. Be a part of the world's biggest celebration