Monday 28 July 2008

Reason for a Headache

I went shopping with my cousins today. Even though I hate shopping, that's not really the reason for the most massive headache I have suffered from in a long while. I actually initiated this spree as I really was in need of stuff. Have been living minimalistically for some while now - just one pair of jeans, 2-3 shirts, and a pair of floaters!

When returning, less that 3 kms away from home, I got stuck is a massive traffic jam because the red-light at the crossing had stopped working. Of course every single one wanted to go and not stop to let anyone else pass. It resulted in the worst jam I have been in in a while. Some wise man actually came out and tried to resolve the confusion, and I wish there were awards for such pro-active citizens! I wanted to call the police but my cell phone signals disappeared. That has never happened to me before. I tried calling my dad and sis but how could I with no signal... What bewildered me most was that for the longest time there was no traffic cop in sight to resolve the mess! We have faced bomb blasts in two major cities of the country on 2 consecutive days, and 500 people have died because of terrorist attacks in the past year, and every time we are told that security is being tightened. What utter crap! What kind of security is it if a policeman is unavailable for over 20 minutes with over 500 vehicles mixed up and lined up at a major crossing??

The truth is that in a country with the 2nd largest population in the world, there is absolutely no value for life. So what if a few die, when there are more than 100 being born every minute? It is disgusting but our intelligence agencies are full of shit. Corruption is rampant and work is limited to how much can go into one;s pocket. The attitude is "Who cares anyway for something that is not benefiting me" and it is ingrained in every one of us. I mean, if people actually cared for the greater good, would there be such a jam in the first place?

2 comments:

Rachel said...

Great posts, Juhi! I love hearing your perspective of things. I also get the sense that the value of human life is pretty much nil in India & China. I guess when you have so many, it's all expendable.

Hope you are doing well! :) Can't believe it's been a whole year since we returned from Okinawa!

Unknown said...

Hi Rach!

thanks! :)

time sure does fly! but it hasnt been a whole year for me! I left in aug, 11th or 12th! and I arrived in Delhi on the 23rd, so still a month approx...